What is a Grapefruit?
Grapefruit is a fruit native to Malaysia. Its name comes from the Dutch “Pomplamoose,” which means “big lemon.” Its scientific name is “citrus maxima” or “citrus Grandis.”
This fruit, of 18 cm in diameter on average, weighs about 2 kg. Round in shape, it can be flattened at the ends or have a pear shape. There are four varieties of it, which are themselves divided into sub-varieties:
Types of Grapefruit
White or Blood Pomelo: Its flesh is white, and its flavor is sweet and fragrant. It is this variety that is unfairly called “grapefruit” on the shelves of our markets.
White Grapefruit: It may have slightly flattened ends. It is twice as big as an orange, and its skin is yellow. Its flesh, both crunchy and juicy, has a slightly tart and somewhat sweet taste.
Pink Grapefruit: Its skin is yellow and sometimes pinkish. Its pinkish flesh is crunchy and juicy, and its flavor is fragrant and sweet. It is not as bitter as the white Grapefruit (varieties: Ruby, Red Blush).
Blood Grapefruit: This variety is close to pink Grapefruit, but its flesh can be red, depending upon the type, and it is sweeter. Even though all varieties of fruit have similar benefits and nutrients for our health, pink Grapefruit is the variety that is considered the most beneficial for our health. Pink Grapefruit has a higher content of vitamin A and lycopene, which confer the antioxidant properties of the fruit.
To know: the more the color of the fruit is red or pinkish, the more it has virtues for health, the intensity of the color indicating the presence of antioxidants.
To make the most of the properties of citrus, it is, therefore, better to consume pink Grapefruit or red Grapefruit. In addition, pink Grapefruit retains its properties for several days. This can be stored for five days at room temperature and almost three weeks in the refrigerator without affecting its nutritional values.
In Which Season to Eat Grapefruit?
The grapefruit tasting season is from November to January and from July to August. We can enjoy the Grapefruit first in February/March.
Calories and Nutritional Information of Grapefruit
- Grapefruit is particularly rich in vitamin C. It contains as much orange but provides you with half as much sugar.
- Consuming Grapefruit is, therefore, a source of energy for your body. It also provides you with vitamin A, which promotes the growth of bones and teeth and helps keep the skin healthy.
- Its copper intake is also interesting because it comprises several enzymes, including those used to form blood and tissues.
- Grapefruit is attributing to many medicinal properties. It is considered in particular that it promotes digestion and has depurative properties.
- And also, it is thus the indispensable ally of the weight loss diet.
- It also has antiseptic properties, which therefore make it possible to avoid infections.
- Some components, including vitamin C, can have antioxidant effects, which reduce the risk of diseases, such as cardiovascular diseases and cancers.
- Pink and red grapefruits have more antioxidant properties than white grapefruits.
Health Benefits of Grapefruit
Grapefruit contains more than 90% water and has only 40 calories per 100 g serving. It is a very light fruit, so it is the perfect ally of people who want to pay attention to their diet.
1. Excellent Source of Grapefruit
- It is also particularly rich in vitamin C, beta-carotene, antioxidants, Soluble fiber, and Potassium.
- Studies have also shown that the consumption of citrus fruits, including it, is specifically linked to preventing certain types of cancer, such as cancer of the mouth, pharynx, esophagus, stomach cancer.
- In subjects with hypercholesterolemia, the consumption of 2 grapefruits per day would have the property of reducing cholesterol levels and blood triglycerides.
- In people suffering from Obesity, the consumption of Grapefruit could, as part of a balanced diet and regular physical activity, play a role in weight loss.
- A study of obese people with metabolic syndrome found that consuming half of it per day before each meal for 12 weeks resulted in a weight loss of 1.6 kg.
- The juice is full of vitamins and flavonoids.
- The skin and white membrane surrounding the quarters contain a lot of soluble fiber, reducing bad cholesterol and preventing cardiovascular disease.
- Like lemon or orange, it is excellent for the skin, especially for cleaning pores deeply. A few drops of “grapefruit” seed extract on sale in pharmacies will help you find a radiant complexion.
- It is rich in vitamin C and naringin, a flavonoid rarely present in citrus fruits and very valuable in the fight against free radicals. ( Let us remember, are at the origin of the oxidation of the tissues and cells of our organism, thus accelerating their aging).
- It also contains limonoids found mainly in its seeds and juice, also known for their essential antioxidant capabilities.
- A study in diabetic animals revealed that blood glucose significantly reduces after naringin injection (the flavonoid present in it). This compound could therefore play an essential role in the prevention of hyperglycemia.
- Regularly consuming it gives a beautiful skin, firm and radiant. It cleans the pores deeply.
- The seed oil applied in massage (massage oil) on the skin also helps fight against accumulated cellulite. And also, it would limit water retention.
- Vitamin C, whose fruit is whole, helps produce collagen, protect the skin, prevent wrinkles, and treat acne problems.
Consumption of Grapefruit
Consume immediately after peeling it; otherwise, the pulp dries out, and the vitamin level too!
Conservation of Grapefruit
It can store for about ten days in the vegetable tray of the refrigerator or eight days in the ambient air.
Choice of Grapefruit
To avoid making a mistake and buy the juiciest possible, I prefer it with very smooth, firm, and shiny skin. Weigh it: it must be heavy, the guarantee of a very dense pulp. Is its pulp yellow? Its taste will be tart. Is its pulp pink or red? Its flavor will be sweeter.
It is not only a treat to your tastebuds but also quite impressive for your body, so make sure you count it while snacking for next time.