The watermelon is a fruit most associated with summer, maybe because cold is one of the most refreshing food and delicious. But whoever believes that the only thing that contributes is freshwater will be mistaken.
It is true that more than 90% of its weight in liquid, but it has nutrients, vitamins and other components that have recognized health benefits. In addition to properties that highly appreciate in these times: few calories and a lot of fibre.
For that reason alone, it highly recommends against obesity, slimming diets, and to avoid constipation. But you don’t have to stop there. The best thing about it, according to nutrition experts, is lycopene.
The name will not say much to the layman, but apart from giving it its characteristic colour, it is an antioxidant with many and excellent properties. The same substance makes tomatoes red, although there is one and a half times more lycopene in watermelon than in the same amount of tomato.
Properties and Benefits of Watermelon
In the following lines, we current the properties and health benefits of watermelon.
- Watermelon associate with summer, and it is not astonishing since it is a food with high water content, 92% of its composition, and contains essential electrolytes.
- It can eat at any time and is an ideal “snack” to take at any period.
- If we also permission it in the fridge, it will be delicious, but it will be very refreshing. When the summer season methods, watermelon becomes a delightful food.
2. Improves the Immune System and Prevents Cell Damage
- This fruit is rich in vitamin C, which is vital for our immune system and, therefore, protects our body and helps us fight, for example, colds.
- It also maintains the redox balance of cells and protects them from reactive oxygen species, which damage our cells and DNA.
3. Heals Wounds Healing
- The role of vitamin C in coiled healing has also observed in numerous studies, as it is essential for the formation of new connective tissue.
- The enzymes involved in the construction of collagen, that is, the main component of wound healing, is inefficient without vitamin C. Ultimately, watermelon participates in wound healing.
4. Improves Bone Health
- Watermelon contains lycopene, which is especially vital for our bone health. Dietary lycopene, which is currently in some foods such as watermelon or tomatoes, reduces oxidative stress that usually reduces the activity of osteoblasts and osteoclasts, two bone cells involved in the pathogenesis of osteoporosis.
- Consuming lycopene associate with healthier bones.
- Watermelon is also ironic in potassium, which helps recall calcium in the body, subsequent in healthier bones and joints.
5. Improves Cardiovascular Health
- Consuming watermelon in large amounts, according to many investigations, positively correlates with the improvement of cardiovascular function since it upsurges blood flow through vasodilation.
- Watermelon extract supplementation abridged ankle blood pressure, brachial blood pressure, and carotid pressure in obese middle-aged adults with mild hypertension.
6. Helps Lose Body Fat
- Watermelon contains citrulline, which helps decrease the accumulation of fat in our fat cells. Citrulline is an amino acid that changes to arginine with the help of the kidneys.
- When our bodies absorb citrulline, it can block the activity of TNAP (non-tissue specific alkaline phosphatase), which causes our fat cells to produce less fat tissue.
- It, therefore, helps prevent excessive accumulation of body fat.
7. Improves Eye Health
- This fruit is an excellent basis of beta-carotene (hence the reddish colour inside it) converted into vitamin A.
- It helps to produce pigments in the retina of the eye and protects against age-related macular degeneration.
- It also prevents night blindness, maintains healthy skin, teeth, skeletal and soft tissues, and mucous membranes.
8. Diuretic Effect
- Watermelon is a natural diuretic that benefits increase urine flow and protects the kidneys. Likewise, it intervenes in the process of eliminating ammonia from the liver.
- Watermelon is a diuretic and natural slimming agent, which will help you stay fit and healthy.
9. Anti-inflammatory and Antioxidant
- Watermelon is amusing in phenolic compounds such as flavonoids, carotenoids, and triterpenoids.
- The carotenoid lycopene in this fruit is beneficial in dipping inflammation and neutralizing free radicals.
- The triterpenoid cucurbitacin E also exists in watermelon and provides anti-inflammatory provision by blocking cyclooxygenase enzymes that typically produce an inflammatory surge.
- Ripe watermelons comprise higher amounts of these beneficial phenolic compounds.
10. Prevents Cancer
- As I have discussed previously, this fruit is an excellent source of vitamin C and other antioxidants.
- That is why it can benefit fight the formation of free radicals associated with the development of cancer.
- Lycopene intake has positively associated with a decreased risk of prostate cancer, according to various investigations.
Homemade Watermelon Face Mask
1. Dry Skin
- If you have dry skin, it is essential to moisturize it well in winter and throughout the year. In summer, watermelon will become your best ally!
- Let’s see the first easy-to-make homemade face mask! As a bonus, get yourself five tablespoons of watermelon puree as well as a tablespoon of high-quality olive oil.
- Then mix the ingredients and apply the preparation on the face and neck. Leave it on for half an hour and rinse it off with water.
2. Ephelides and Age Spots
- To prepare this homemade face mask, you need to combine two super beneficial ingredients for the skin. It is watermelon and banana.
- Indeed, the skin of the latter helps us to treat acne, psoriasis, dry skin etc. By the way, the easiest way to incorporate it into your skincare routine is to rub it directly on the skin.
- But back to the preparation of our mask!
- First, scrape the inside of the banana peel and mix it with two tablespoons of watermelon juice.
- Apply to problem areas, wait 40 minutes and wash well.
- We have already explained to you that watermelon helps us fight against the appearance of wrinkles.
- Like the previous “recipe”, we will combine two powerful ingredients: watermelon and green tea to make this homemade face mask.
- The latter is an excellent antioxidant with a thousand virtues that helps us in the fight against acne and blackheads so hated!
- Please take a few pieces of watermelon, mash them and mix them with brewed and cooled green tea. Then divide the preparation into ice cream moulds and refrigerate.
- In the morning, rub your face with an ice cube.
4. Damaged Skin
- Combine two equal parts of fresh watermelon juice and honey and mix well. First, wash the face and the neck, apply the mask, wait 30 minutes and wash off.
- These homemade face masks specially designed to relieve irritated skin naturally.
- Yoghurt has many benefits for the skin as well as the hair. In combination with watermelon, this face mask will help keep your skin healthy.
- Rich in lactic acids, yoghurt will eliminate dead cells while making the skin healthier.
- To do this, take a small bowl and crush a piece of watermelon in it. Then add one tablespoon of yoghurt and mix well.
- Then apply on your face, leave on for 20 minutes and wash off!
- To make this super skin-friendly mask, combine two cubes of watermelon with half an avocado. Mash everything with a fork and mix well. Then apply on your already washed face, wait 15 minutes and rinse.