What is Senna Leaf?
Senna leaf, also known as senna, a medicinal plant widely used to treat gastrointestinal problems, mainly stultification, because it has strong laxative and purgative properties.
This laxative result is primarily due to its ability to irritate the intestinal mucosa, making the intestines’ movements faster, favouring faeces’ removal. For this reason, its use must be with great carefulness.
The plant’s scientific name is Senna alexandrina, and it can acquire health food supplies and some handling pharmacies.
Senna alexandrina is a modern name that includes two ancient names for senna: Cassia Senna and Cassia Angustifolia .
What are the Benefits of Senna Leaf?
Despite its benefits, senna leaves must use with caution and under medical guidance. Its continuous use can alter the intestinal microbiota, extreme colic, and even predispose to rectal neck cancer.
So let’s understand the benefits and properties of senna leaf, which go outside its laxative result.
- We start with the finest known and now deliberated benefit.
- The best-known purpose of the senna leaf is as a laxative.
- And it is that its competence for this is practically instant. In ancient medicine and herbalism, senna leaf indorses extreme episodes of constipation.
- Thus, many people trust that it is well-organized to lose weight; this is not true.
- What happens is that numerous intakes of this senna leaf can empty the intestine of faecal matter, and this causes a weight reduction, but it is only momentary.
2. Prevent Hemorrhoids
- Hemorrhoids can appear if there is severe constipation.
- One of the consequences of sorrow from constipation that is constant or for a long time is hemorrhoids’ appearance. It is owing to the blood pressure in the area.
- For this reason, captivating some light doses of senna leaf stops hemorrhoids, as this plant lets the seat come out more efficiently, plummeting the pressure that exists in the anus.
- Senna leaf also the whole thing as a natural diuretic. Its belongings on the body, this plant take as an infusion, assistances the body more easily dispose of the fluids that accumulate in the body.
- Also, taking senna leaf assistances to tone the muscles of the urinary tract.
- Therefore, in addition to housework, the body, by expelling toxins through urine, favours urine retention.
- Due to its diuretic drug and laxative properties, the senna leaf is an excellent detoxifier. Also, to dismiss constipation, this plant is ingested as an infusion to detoxify the body in general.
- Remember that the body has some ways to eliminate toxins. Either through faeces, urine, and bile manufacture.
- The senna leaf favours the development of these processes allowing general detoxification of the body.
5. Prevents the Appearance of Gallstones
- Senna leaf is an efficient Cholagogue. Cholagogues are materials that allow the expulsion of the bile limited in the gallbladder.
- The senna leaf has, among its properties, this advantage for the body.
- By freeing the gallbladder of excess bile, the option of suffering from gallstones reductions and is harrowing. They negatively touch the detoxifying capacity of this organ.
6. Auxiliary against Irritable Bowel
- Some treatments for irritable bowel comprise senna leaf. As already stated, the senna leaf’s primary function is as a powerful and efficient natural laxative.
- So in treatments in contradiction of irritable bowel, it can be of great help.
- However, it must recall that it may contraindicate for sensitive people or people with digestive problems. It is good to go to a herb doctor to determine if senna leaf can use for this drive.
7. Combat Swelling due to Fluid Retention
- Heat or other factors reason the body to swell from fluid holding. However, this is not something to overlook. The body should not have extra fluids for too long.
- For this reason, it indorses taking a senna leaf to enjoy its diuretic effect.
- An infusion of this plant assistances the body abandon this excess water, and as necessary, the swelling that regularly happens in the extremities is relieved.
8. Strengthens the Gallbladder
- Senna leaf helps strengthen the gallbladder. The senna leaf uses the function of eliminating excess bile from the gallbladder.
- For this aim, the senna leaf works as a very real detoxifier.
- As long as its consumption saves at a moderate level, this leaf can help rid the body of toxins that accumulate naturally.
9. Eliminate Intestinal Parasites
- Intestinal parasites reason digestive problems. The general reference of doctors is that humans take some deworming medicine to spotless the intestines.
- Senna leaf is a natural other to rid the body of intestinal parasites. Anyway, you have to be cautious in its eating and not use it in children.
- In adults, available information on intense senna leaf infusion is enough to eliminate intestinal parasites.
- Cleansing the body regularly benefits us to feel light and full of energy. The senna leaf is considered a well-organized detoxifier and cleanser.
- In addition to eliminating the toxins it accrues from the body, it also purifies it.
- This plant’s diuretic, laxative, and Cholagogue function properly remove toxic compounds from the body limited in some foods. It aids to get rid of all this through faeces and urine.
11. Improves the Digestive System
- By removing the body of intestinal parasites, the digestive system recovers. It is why senna leaf recommends aiding in treating irritable bowel because it also enhances the intestines’ functioning.
- A treatment that comprises several doses of senna leaf allows the intestine to cleanse all faecal matter thoroughly.
- It lets the stomach and intestines tone and reinforces by working healthier.
12. Aids the Purifying Function of the Liver
- The senna leaf is a help in the functioning of the liver.
- This organ is the great cleanser of the organism, so many other functions in the body be contingent on its proper functioning, hence the rank of keeping it healthy.
- Its feeding helps to strengthen and tone the liver and fulfil its purifying function.
- However, it must pay income in moderation, as taking too much senna leaf could have the opposite effect and significantly damage the liver.
How to Prepare Senna Leaf Tea?
Prepare the tea. The green leaves of senna should favour because they have a more active result on the body than its dry type. In addition to this, the olive green the leaf, the sturdier the effect.
- 1 to 2 g of senna leaves;
- 250 ml of boiling water.
- Take the basil in a pot or cup, add the water and let it break for 5 minutes. Wait until it is sincere, strain, and drink 2 to 3 times a day without adding sugar.
- Although tea is a practical option to eat senna, this plant can also purchase in the procedure of capsules, which can sell in natural products stores and in some pharmacies, which are ingested one pill of 100 to 300 mg daily.
- Ideally, this plant should use below a doctor’s guidance and for a maximum period of 7 to 10 days.
- If, after this period, irregularity persists, you should see an overall practitioner or gastroenterologist.
Possible Side Effects of Senna Leaf
- The laxative result of senna is mainly due to its aptitude to irritate the intestinal mucosa.
- For this reason, the use of this strategy for more than one week could cause some side effects such as plain cramps, abdominal bloating, and an increased amount of gas.
- Some persons may also have vomiting, diarrhoea, increased menstrual flow, hypokalemia, intestinal malabsorption, and decreased hemoglobin in the blood test.
Contraindications of Senna Leaf
- Senna leaves contraindicate in cases of hypersensitivity to senna during pregnancy, breastfeeding in children under 12 years of age.
- And the option of intestinal obstruction, enteritis, acute appendicitis, and stomach pain of unknown cause.
- Also, senna should not eat by people taking heart medications, laxatives, cortisone, or diuretics. Its use should not be longer than ten consecutive days.
- It can cause various side effects and upsurge the predisposition for colorectal cancer.
- Therefore, before utilizing senna leaves, it is essential to ask a doctor to avoid likely complications.
Senna leaf tea, a herbal brew regularly use to treat constipation.
Some people right that it aids weight loss. It would assist if you didn’t use it in any weight loss detox or wash. Doing so could change behaviour to laxative dependence, liver damage, and other serious health issues.
It tea may cause short-term stomach cramps and diarrhoea. To minimize your risk of adverse belongings, you shouldn’t drink it for longer than seven days in a row.